g n i r a h s r o f e m i t as - a
All things nice from
Golden Cloud can be
Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
wrapped up in
Spicy Shortbread Wedges
tempting parcels just
Christmas Balls with Glacé Icing
in time for your Christmas gift giving.
Christmas Window Biscuits White Chocolate Festive Puddings
Friends and family will be delighted when they receive their treat!
Mini Chocolate Christmas Cakes Fruit Filled Panetone Crépes with Orange Sauce
Impress family and friends by presenting this delicious cassata at your Christmas celebration feast!
• 1 double layer vanilla sponge cake prepared with Golden Cloud Vanilla Cake Mix • 60 ml hazelnut liqueur (optional) Cassata: • 500 g ricotta cheese • 200 ml fresh cream • 100 ml (50 g) icing sugar (from Golden Cloud Vanilla Cake Mix) 1. Line the base and sides of a deep Pyrex mixing bowl with cling wrap. Slice cake into 1cm slices and line the base and sides of the mixing bowl with cake slices. Drizzle 30 ml of the liqueur over the cake. 2. For filling: Beat the ricotta until creamy. Add the cream, sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, glace fruit, almonds and essence. Mix well to combine. Spoon mixture into the lined cake bowl.
Makes 8 - 10 servings
• 5 ml • 125 g
ground cinnamon dark chocolate, roughly chopped glacé fruit, roughly chopped toasted flaked almonds caramel essence
• 250 g • 60 ml • 7 ml To serve: • Icing sugar, for dusting
3. Smooth the top with a spatula. Place the remaining cake slices on top to cover and form a lid. 4. Drizzle the remaining liqueur over cake and freeze for 3 - 4 hours or overnight. 5. Carefully unmould cake onto a serving platter, allow to stand for about 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
20 minutes plus 3 - 4 hrs freezing
Gifting idea Place some pretzels in an empty jam bottle or cookie jar and cover the lid with baking or tissue paper. Tie a single pretzel with string or ribbon around the lid for decoration.
Chocolate dipped Pretzels
• 300 g • 200 g • 125 g •1 • 1 ml
Golden Cloud Cake Flour butter sifted icing sugar egg yolk salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. 2. Cream the butter and icing sugar together until a smooth paste. Add the egg yolk, salt and essence. Knead in the sifted Golden Cloud Cake Flour. 3. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. 4. Cut off one piece of dough at a time, leaving the rest chilled. Roll until pencil thin and 15 cm long. Shape into a pretzel and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining dough.
Makes 24 - 28 pretzels
12 - 15 minutes
• 2 ml • 200 g
vanilla essence dark chocolate, roughly chopped • Hundreds and thousands
5. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden in colour. 6. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water. 7. Allow pretzels to cool completely on a wire rack before dipping into the chocolate, sprinkle with hundreds and thousands 8. Place in an airtight container and serve with coffee as a sweet snack.
Gifting idea Place shortbread in an old or new teacup or porcelain bowl. Wrap with cellophane and tie with ribbon.
Spicy Shortbread Wedges
• 280 g • 230 g • 140 g • 150 g • 1 ml • 1 ml
Golden Cloud Cake Flour butter castor sugar corn flour ground allspice ground ginger
• 2 ml ground nutmeg • 3 ml ground cloves • 5 ml ground cinnamon • 5 ml mixed spice • Icing sugar to sprinkle over
1. Grease 2 x 20 cm round or square cake tins or a baking tray lightly with butter. 2. Cream butter and castor sugar together until light and creamy. Sift Golden Cloud Cake Flour, corn flour and spices to blend and add to butter mixture. Mix until ingredients are blended. Knead the dough by hand or use an electric mixer for a few minutes. Do not over mix.
3. Press dough into pans evenly, smooth the surface on top by using a spatula and prick the top decoratively with a fork. 4. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 °C for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar whilst warm. Allow to cool in the tins. 5. Cut into wedges or rectangles and serve.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks in a cool dry place.
Makes 2 dozen biscuits
Gifting idea Line a basket of choice with baking paper. Wrap with cellophane and decorate with string or ribbon.
Christmas Balls with Glacé Icing
• 500 g • 10 ml • 375 ml • oil
Golden Cloud Vetkoek Mix ground cinnamon luke warm water for deep frying
Glacé Icing • 130 g icing sugar • ±30 ml lemon juice • grated lemon rind
1. Sift Golden Cloud Vetkoek Mix and cinnamon together. Add enough water to form a soft dough. Do not over mix. Pinch into balls and place on a greased baking tray and cover with greased cling wrap. Allow to rest for 20 – 30 minutes. 2. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan until moderate hot. (see tips on pack). Add the dough balls and fry in batches until golden in colour.
3. Drain on kitchen towel and allow to cool. 4. Meanwhile prepare the icing. Mix icing sugar and lemon juice together to form a smooth runny paste. 5. Arrange the vetkoek balls on a serving platter in a neat pile. Drizzle the glace icing over and decorate with the lemon rind.
variations: • Sugared Christmas Balls - Instead of drizzling the balls with icing sugar, roll the balls in castor sugar whilst hot. Allow to cool before eating.
Makes 12 balls standard size
20 - 30 minutes
Gifting idea Tie biscuits with colourful ribbons (ready for hanging) and place in a gift box.
Window Biscuits • • • •
210 g 2 ml 125 g 50 g
Golden Cloud Cake Flour salt butter castor sugar
• 5 ml caramel essence • 15 ml milk • 110 g hard candy in assorted colours, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. 2. Sift the flour and salt together. Set aside. 3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add essence and mix through. Add the Golden Cloud Cake Flour with the milk to the creamed mixture and mix into a stiff dough. 4. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface until 4 mm thick. Cut with shaped cookie cutters into desired shapes. If hanging from a tree, cut a hole on the top of each biscuit using a
Makes 30 biscuits standard size
straw. To create windows, use smaller cookie cutters and cut shapes out of biscuits. 5. Place on a baking tray lined with foil. Grease with melted butter. Spoon amounts of same coloured candy into each window. 6. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden in colour and candy has melted. 7. Allow to cool completely before lifting off the baking tray.
25 - 30 minutes
Gifting idea Wrap the puddings individually with colourful cellophane and ribbon or place a few puddings on a silver cake decorating board and wrap in the same way.
Festive Puddings Sauce • 125 g • 150 g • 350 ml • 150 ml
• 500 g
Golden Cloud Vanilla Muffin Mix • 150 ml sunflower oil • 320 ml milk •2 eggs • 100 g white eating chocolate, chopped • 105 g mixed frozen berries 1. Mix Golden Cloud Vanilla Muffin mix according to the instructions on the pack. Stir chocolate and berries in and spoon into 8-10 greased ramekin dishes. Do not fill each ramekin more than half. 2. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. 3. Meanwhile for sauce: Heat butter, sugar and cream together stirring
Makes 8 - 10 puddings
20 - 25 minutes
butter sugar fresh cream Amarula Liqueur
until sugar is dissolved. Add liqueur and heat until just below boiling point. 4. Remove puddings from oven and pour hot sauce slowly over each pudding while still hot. Keep pouring spoonfuls of sauce over until puddings stop absorbing sauce. 5. Serve decorated with grated white chocolate (optional)
Gifting idea Place baked Christmas cakes in a six or twelve hole muffin pan, wrap with cellophane and ribbon. Hand write the recipe on a card and tie to the gift for your friend or family member to bake again after tasting! They will not be able to resist!
Christmas Cakes • 500 g • 440 g • 150 g • 100 g • 140 g
1. Place fruit and butter in a heavy based saucepan and boil together for 2 minutes stirring continuously. Set aside and allow to cool. 2. Meanwhile sift Golden Cloud Chocolate Muffin Mix together with spices to blend. 3. Add cooled fruit mixture, nuts, beaten eggs and milk.
• 5 ml • 5 ml • 3 ml • 100 g • 2 eggs • 290 ml
Golden Cloud Chocolate Muffin Mix crushed pineapple, drained (1 can) fruit cake mix glazed cherries melted butter
mixed spice ground cinnamon ground cloves chopped pecan nuts lightly beaten milk
4. Spoon into the hollows of a greased muffin pan until 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 25 - 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. 5. Remove from oven; allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
Line muffin pan with paper cases instead of greasing the pan.
Makes 18 muffins standard size
25 - 30 minutes
Gifting idea Wrap cooled Panetone in baking paper and place in a hatbox tied with ribbon.
with Orange Zest • 700 g • 10 g • 3 ml • 15 ml • 50 g
Golden Cloud Cake Flour or Golden Cloud White Bread Flour instant dry yeast salt orange rind glace cherries, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 200 °C. 2. Sift the flour, yeast and salt together. Add the orange rind, cherries, raisins and mixed peel. Mix through. Beat the eggs and add. 3. Heat the milk, sugar and butter together over a low heat until the butter has melted. Add to the flour mixture and mix to a soft manageable dough. Knead dough for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. 4. Place in a greased mixing bowl and cover. Allow to rise for 20 minutes or until double in size.
Makes 1 panetone
• 50 g seedless raisins • 50 g mixed peel •2 eggs • 100 g sugar • 125 g butter • 150-175 ml luke warm milk
5. Meanwhile, line the base and sides of a 17 cm cake tin with baking paper. Extending the sides by 5 cm in height. 6. Knock back dough and place in the prepared tin. Cut a cross over the top with a knife. Cover and allow to rise. 7. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160 °C and bake for a further 80 minutes, or until well risen and golden in colour. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely, cut into slices and serve.
Gifting idea Prepare a stack of pancakes and place on a wooden board, pot stand or silver cake decorating board. Wrap with cling film. Pour the cooled orange sauce into a glass bottle and decorate with string or ribbon. Make a hand written tag with heating and serving instructions.
with Orange Sauce This recipe is similar to Crepes Suzette; the sauce for this version can be made ahead of time and heated just before serving. Pour heated brandy over and ignite in front of your guests! • 12 pancakes prepared with Golden Cloud Pancake mix Orange Sauce: • 100 g sugar • 5 ml orange zest • 5 ml lemon zest
• 225 ml fresh orange • 100 g butter • 20 ml corn flour • 25 ml brandy • Orange or cumquat slices to serve
1. Prepare pancakes according to the instructions on the pack. Fold each pancake into quarters and arrange on an oven proof platter. 2. For sauce: Mix ingredients together and microwave on 100% power for 1.5 to 2 minutes on high until mixture has thickened. Stir every 30 seconds. Drizzle sauce over
pancakes, top with orange or cumquat slices. Cover with foil and keep warm in a preheated oven at 120 °C until needed. 3. Remove dessert from oven. Warm brandy for a few seconds, but do not boil. Pour over pancakes and ignite. Leave until the flames subside and serve immediately.
variations: • If a more subtle flavour is preferred, replace brandy with Grand Marnier (orange liqueur). • This dessert can be served with vanilla ice cream. Makes 12 pancakes
Dessert is kept warm at 120 ˚C
The sweetest memories are baked...
Bake up some delicious family memories with GOLDEN CLOUD this xmas & you could WIN one of 20 cash prizes worth R5000 each! • Buy any GOLDEN CLOUD product • sms ‘GOLDEN CLOUD’ and the last four digits of your barcode to 34702 (sms charged at R2.00. Free sms’s do not apply.) • Closing date is 11th December 2009
PLUS You stand a chance to win 1 of 50 GOLDEN CLOUD product hampers
RULES: 1. This competition is open to persons over 18 years who are citizens of South Africa. No directors, employees, agents or consultants of Tiger Brands Ltd., its subsidiary companies and their business partners, associates or immediate families may participate in the competition. 2. The competition closes on 11th December 2009. 3. Win one of 20 x R5000 cash prizes plus 50 GOLDEN CLOUD hampers valued at R100 each. 4. The cash prize winners will be notified within a week of the competition closing. 5. The Golden Cloud product hamper winners will be notified instantly via sms. 5. The prize is not transferable. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. 6. By entering the competition, you allow the promoters to send you marketing material from time to time.
Seasong’ss! Greetin From
Seasong’ss! Greetin From
Seasong’ss! Greetin From