Student Application Form
GUIDELINES TO STUDENTS FOR FILLING THE APPLICATION FORM
Read these instructions carefully: 1. Please ensure you meet the eligibility criteria as shown on the website (www.pakistan.uwc.org) and on the next page of this form. 2. Application forms must be completed in full and to the best of your abilities. Incomplete forms may lead to disqualification of the applicant from participating in the selection process. 3. The application must be filled in English unless stated otherwise. 4. The application will be judged according to internal guidelines and selection criteria. All decisions will be final and there will be no appeal process. 5. The selection committee reserves the right to independently verify any information. 6. Please type or write clearly in dark ink and ensure you complete all the sections. 7. Please do not staple materials together, use paper clips. 8. Late submission of forms and plagiarism will lead to automatic disqualification of the
9. Both the Application Form and Financial Aid Form needs to be sent together but in separate
envelopes. Please ensure the envelope clearly mentions your name and the name of the form in it.
10. All applicants must fill and submit the Application Form and the Financial Aid Form along with supporting documents to the following address: UWC Pakistan, The AMAN Foundation, Plot # 333, Korangi Township, Near Pakistan Refinery Ltd, Karachi, Pakistan.
Student Application Form
Eligibility Criteria The following conditions will apply to all potential applicants: •
Applicant must be a Pakistani citizen and be resident in Pakistan.
Applicant should be over 16 years and under 18 years of age on 1 September 2015.
Applicants must have completed ten or eleven years of formal education i.e. O’ Levels / Matric / Aga Khan Board / First year Intermediate by August 2015.
Applicants who have completed or are in the second year of Intermediate are not eligible to apply.
Applicants who have completed O-Levels or are in A-Levels are not eligible to apply.
Applicants should be in Pakistan if shortlisted for group activities and interviews.
Applicants should have the required grades to apply (see table below) Examination O Level
Result to Consider • •
O Level subject results School annual results for grade 10 will be considered.
Bench mark for suitability • •
B grade or above Cumulative result for all subjects should be 80% or above.
Grade 9 Result
85% or above
Aga Khan Board
Grade 9 Result
A-1 grade (80% or above)
Inter 1st Year
Cumulative result for: • Matric
Cumulative result should be: • 85% or above.
Aga Khan Board
80% or above.
B grade or above.
Student Application Form Form No ____________ (office use)
TO BE FILLED BY THE APPLICANT 1) Personal information Last name First name Middle name Gender Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy) Age on 1 September 2015 Nationality Do you currently live in Pakistan? Do you have a valid passport? If yes, passport number Country of permanent residence Country of Birth Country of dual nationality if applicable Have you applied before? If yes, then which stage of the selection process did you reach? Check all that apply
Sent in application Group activity Interview
2) Contact Details Address City Province Post Code Email address Home Phone (with code) Mobile phone All communication will be through email. If you don’t have an email address please provide a valid phone number.
Student Application Form 3) School Information Name of school Type of school ( Private, Gov., NGO) Address of School Name of Head of School/ Principal Class (Your) Examination Board
4) What language(s) do you speak at home?
5) What other languages do you speak (please list the language and the level of understanding)?
6) How did you hear about UWC?
7) Did you visit the UWC Pakistan website before applying?
Student Application Form
8) List the subjects that you gave in your last two school annual examination and the percentage achieved in them. For example if you are currently in grade 10 include marks achieved in grade 8 & 9. (Please calculate % attained in each subject.) Attach two clear photocopies of school annual exam reports for the last two years.
Percentage achieved in year 2013
Note: If no annual examinations were held please state your midterm result instead. These are SCHOOL results, please note that it is different from results asked for in Q9.
Student Application Form 9) Examination Board ______________________ List the grades (for O levels) or % (for 9th, Matric or Aga Khan Board) achieved in individual subjects. (Please convert your marks into percentages.) Also attach two clear photocopies of all your mark sheets. Note: This question asks for BOARD results and is different from results asked in Q8.
GRADE / %
Overall percentage achieved at recent external examination (9th, Matric or Aga Khan Board exams) _________%
10) What is the best or most challenging aspect of your educational environment? (Max 50 words) ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
Student Application Form 11) Do you participate in any extra-curricular clubs or activities in and out of school for example creative activities, sports, volunteer projects, helping parents with work, employment (any part time job) etc.? Please list up to 5 areas of involvement indicating the level and time of involvement and responsibilities. Please attach two clear photocopies of certificates if applicable.
Description of Activity
Involvement (one time, weekly, monthly, or yearly?)
Hours committed to this activity
How long have you been involved?
Any Certificates Achieved
12) If you do not have any experience yet, tell us what would you like to do? (Max 50 words) Answer this question only if you haven’t answered Q11.
13) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Student Application Form 14) What do you think is your biggest strength and why?
15) What is the one thing you would really like to improve in yourself and why?
16) ESSAY QUESTIONS Please attach a separate sheet with answers to these questions. You can answer these questions in English or Urdu. I. Explain why you are interested in attending a UWC school/college, reflecting on UWC’s mission and values, what you might contribute to the school/college and what you would hope to gain from the experience (300 words). II. Describe the environment in which you were raised – your family, home, community, country (or countries you have lived in) – and how it has influenced the person you are today. (350 words). III. If you were made the prime minister of Pakistan and had been given all the resources, which ONE issue would you deal with and how? (350 words).
Student Application Form Applicant’s signature All information provided in this application is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I have read and understood the information section at the beginning of this application form. I have discussed all aspects of the commitment involved in applying for entry to a UWC school/college with my parent(s)/guardian(s). Should the application be successful, I hereby undertake to observe the rules, regulations and guidelines of the school/college. I recognise that the school/college has the right to exclude me for violations of such rules, regulations and guidelines. Nomination of finalised applicants to UWC Colleges will be at the pure discretion of the Selection Committee. Preferences for geographical locations are not guaranteed. An applicant can be sent to any UWC. If for any reason you can’t go to a particular UWC please state your reason: UWC School/College you can’t attend : Reason:
UNDERTAKING I also undertake that if successful in obtaining a scholarship to a United World College I will contribute towards the cost of financing other deserving students selected by the Pakistan National Council as and when able to do so. Alternatively I will devote at least 100 hours per annum to the cause of United World Colleges as proposed by the National / Regional Committees.
Name & signature of applicant
Your name and submission of this form indicate your acceptance of the terms and conditions stated above.
Student Application Form SECTION B
TO BE COMPLETED BY PARENTS OR PERSON(S) WHO HAVE LEGAL DUTY OF CARE FOR THE STUDENT 1) Parent/ Guardian 1 Relationship to student Surname/ Last name First name/ given name Nationality Profession Mobile phone Email Permanent Home Address (if different from applicant’s) Address City Province Post code Country Home Phone
2) Parent/ Guardian 2 Relationship to student Surname/ Last name First name/ given name Nationality Profession Mobile phone Email
Student Application Form
Permanent Home Address (if different from applicant’s) Address City Province Post code Country Home Phone
3) Please give a brief description of any medical or mental health concerns, physical impairments, serious illnesses or allergies that the applicant has or may have had. You may enclose a medical statement from your doctor if you wish. Please note that the Colleges will accept applications from candidates who have known handicaps over which they have control and which will not deteriorate significantly while they are at UWC. ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ 4) Please list any special dietary requirements that the applicant may have for medical, religious or ethical reasons? ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ 5) Is there anything of special note that you would like to bring to the attention of the Selection Committee or the College Head? A separate letter may be enclosed if required. ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________
Student Application Form
Parents’/Guardians’ signature I/we have read and understood the information section at the beginning of this application form and the application for entry to UWC made by my son/daughter/ward; I/we have discussed all aspects of the commitment involved and this application has my full approval. Should the application be successful, I/we hereby undertake for myself/ourselves and for him/her to observe the rules, regulations and guidelines of the school/college. I/we recognise that the school/college has the right to exclude my son/daughter/ward for violations of such rules, regulations and guidelines. While our son/daughter/ward is in residence at a United College, we wish and authorise the College to act as Guardian in our place of decisions involving his or her personal care and welfare. Nomination of finalised applicants to UWC Colleges will be at the pure discretion of the Selection Committee. Preferences for geographical locations are not guaranteed. An applicant can be sent to any UWC. If for any reason your son/daughter/ward can’t go to a particular UWC please state your reason: UWC School/College your son/daughter/ward can’t attend :
Signature(s) of the person(s) who has legal duty of care over the applicant. (Please sign with date)
Parent/ Guardian (1)
Parent/ Guardian (2)
Student Application Form TO THE APPLICANT – Read Carefully You are required to invite two teachers (or a teacher and a Principal) with your Principal’s authorization, to fill in Section C and submit it in a sealed envelope with official stamp to you. You will then submit these recommendation letters to UWC Pakistan along with the rest of your application. It is preferable to select teachers who know you well, so that they might comment not only on your academic abilities, but also on your qualities of character, attitudes, social adaptability and emotional stability. If you have only recently joined your present school, one of the teacher recommendations may be from your previous school. (Please make two copies of section C and give one copy to each teacher.) Please name the teachers who will write your recommendation letters. Teacher 1
Student Application Form SECTION C
TO BE FILLED BY THE APPLICANT’S TEACHER/PRINCIPAL GUIDELINES TO THE APPLICANT’S TEACHER/PRINCIPAL United World Colleges (UWC) bring together students from all backgrounds and all over the world to learn and live together. UWC schools and colleges deliver a challenging and transformative educational experience to a diverse cross section of students, inspiring them to create a more peaceful and sustainable future. UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. UWC and The Aman Foundation will jointly fund and enable more than 20 Pakistani students to enter UWC schools and colleges every year to pursue a pre-university two-year International Baccalaureate Diploma. We would be obliged if you would fill out the following form, co-signed by the school’s principal and give it to the student in a sealed envelope with the school’s official stamp. The student will then send it to UWC Pakistan. Places are offered on a competitive basis. The UWC selection committee would greatly appreciate your comments on the applicant. Your frank assessment of the student would be invaluable. If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected]
Many thanks for your help. 1) Please rate the applicant on the grid below by checking (√) the appropriate boxes, bearing in mind that outstanding indicates an exceptional person in this respect when compared with his/her peers.
Academic ability Willingness to work with others Adaptability Participation in extracurricular activities Communication ability Concern for others Creativity/Originality Enthusiasm/energy Honesty Self confidence Self-discipline Determination
Student Application Form 2) Please discuss any one strength the applicant possesses and one aspect you think he/she could improve on. __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ 3) Why do you feel the applicant is suitable to join UWC? __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ 4) Anything else you would like to comment about the applicant. __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ Please affix school seal or rubber stamp. Applicant’s Name School Name Teacher’s Name & Signature Principal Name & Signature Telephone Number Email Please return to The student in a sealed envelope with the school stamp. The student will then submit it along with the rest of his/her application to UWC Pakistan.
Student Application Form CHECKLIST (TO BE SENT ALONG WITH THE DOCUMENTS POSTED TO THE UWC PAKISTAN OFFICE) Please tick in the box on the left if the specific document is attached. Please attach clear photocopies as no documents will be returned to the applicant. Photocopy of Bay Form Photocopy of parents (or guardian’s) CNICs 2 photocopies of last two years annual examination reports from schools (Q8) 2 photocopies of results of any board exams taken (9th, Matric, O’Levels, Aga Khan Board exams - Q9) 2 photocopies of any relevant certificates as mentioned in Question 11 (if applicable) 3 Essays and a photocopy Two sealed Teacher’s recommendations Photocopy of the application form