New York City Transit APTA 2010 New York City 1

, New York City Transit APTA 2010 New York City 1 Program Design (Subway) • Subway Route Selection – 21 major subway routes carry > 5 million week...
Author: Kelly Baldwin
0 downloads 0 Views 726KB Size
,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 1

Program Design (Subway) • Subway Route Selection – 21 major subway routes carry > 5 million weekday riders – Every subway route in program carries > 100,000 daily riders – 6 line is busiest (700,000 daily riders)

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 2

Program Design (Bus) • Bus Route Selection – Selected 42 of the ~200 route NYCT bus system – Representing all Boroughs – Top 45 routes in the bus system carry between 60,000 and 16,000 passengers a day

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 3

Measurement Standards 08:00

08:04

08:08

08:12

08:16

08:20

08:24

Scheduled



Headway Regularity – How evenly distributed actual bus or subway service is in relation to scheduled service



En-route Schedule Adherence (ESA)

4 min.

08:00

,

New York City Transit

08:05

4 min.

4 min.

08:08

4 min.

08:19

08:20

08:23

08:24

5 min.

3 min.

11 min.

1 min.

3 min.

Wait Assessment

;

;

:

;

;

;

5/6 = 83%

Headway Regularity

;

;

:

:

;

:

3/6 = 50%

On-Time Performance

;

;

;

: ;

0:12 0:11

2008/06/08 #208816299

08:00-09:46

1 min.

; ;

6/7 = 86%

En-route Schedule Adherence

73%

Headway Regularity

76%

Wait Assessment

84%

42 ST (SB)

0:10 0:09 0:08

Wait Assessment (WA)

0:07 0:06 0:05 0:04 0:03 0:02 Interval (Minutes)

– Sets a fixed threshold for acceptable service – Not penalized in bunched and unevenly spaced service

4 min.

Actual

– Assesses timekeeping and schedule accuracy along en-route timepoints



4 min.

0:01 0:00 8:10

8:15

8:20

Scheduled Time

8:25

8:30

8:35

8:40

8:45

Scheduled Headway

8:50

8:55

9:00

9:05

Regularity Bounds

9:10

9:15

9:20

WA Bound

9:25

9:30

9:35

Actual Headway

APTA 2010 New York City 4

Definitions and Examples Subway: 6am-midnight Not published for buses

10

Subway: 6am-midnight

mins + 25%) Buses: 7am-midnight

Subway: +25% of headway Bus: +3 mins (Peak), +5 mins (Off-Peak)

Peak: 6am-9am 4pm-7pm

Subway: 6am-midnight Buses: 7am-midnight

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 5

Sampling Plan 2

• Sample size based on

n = Z p(1 – p) 2 d

– Required accuracy and precision – Available survey resources

• Combined sample creation and scheduling algorithm maximizes resource utilization • Sample Design – Weekday is divided into five shifts – Each shift is a six-hour assignment for one surveyor – Sample is picked by route, location, and block to maximally represent trunk locations

,

New York City Transit

where n = sample size, Z = confidence limit (1.960 for 95%, two-tailed), p = probability of successful (passing) trips, and d = expected margin of error (5%).

Pick 1 Pick 2 Pick 3

Trunk Branch Trunk

Trunk

Branch

Trunk

APTA 2010 New York City 6

Data Collection •

Traditionally Manually Collected by Field Surveyors – Pre-printed data collection forms



Paper Forms for Bus Data Replaced in 2008 – Electronic data collection – Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) application



Subway Lines 1 ~ 6 uses signal system data – Automated Train Supervision (ATS-A) system

,

New York City Transit

Route ID

New Bus

Destination (Dropdown Menu) E 125 ST / LEXINGTON AV (13625)

Run No.

041

Note

1125

(Entry Field)

Bus No. (Entry Field)

M103

21342 032 1047

17:55:36 17:57:03

M101

13625 041 1125

17:56:40

Leave Time Arrive Time

Relief No. (Entry Field)

APTA 2010 New York City 7

Data Processing •

Automated Traffic Clerking (ATC) – client-server system – backend analysis engine



Bus Analysis Module – Automatically match schedule and actual times – Computes Regularity, WA and ESA



Subway Analysis Module – Uses Train Registers – Manual spreadsheet process – Import results into ATC

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 8



Disaggregated Data – Systemwide – by Borough – by Route



Main Purpose is to Monitor Service – – – – –

“Public Watchdog” Transparency Accountability Public Trust Used by Rider Advocacy Groups

Wait Assessment (7am - midnight) 100 90 % OF INTERVALS COMPLIANT

Public Reporting

Bus Performance Indicator

82.8

83.0

83.9

82.6

1st Half 2008

2nd Half 2008

1st Half 2009

2nd Half 2009

80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0

Definition Wait Assessment is measured weekdays between 7:00 a.m. and midnight, when service is relatively frequent. It is defined as the percentage of observed service intervals that are no more than the scheduled interval plus 3 minutes during peak (7 a.m. – 9 a.m., 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.) and plus 5 during off-peak (9 a.m. – 4 p.m, . 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.) The results presented are for a sample of 42 high-volume bus routes (and 10 associated limitedstop services).

2009 Annual Goals: Semi-Annual Results

Wait Assessment: 82.9% Wait Assessment 2nd Half 2009 82.6% 1st Half 2009 83.9% 2nd Half 2008 83.0% 1st Half 2008 82.8%

Discussion of Results: an increase/decrease of less than 1% is statistically unchanged. 2nd Half 2009 vs. 2nd Half 2008: Bus Wait Assessment results remained statistically unchanged (0.4%).

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 9

Internal Reporting •

M15 - Local Northbound 1 AVE / E 42 ST Weekday 01/01/07 - 12/31/07 Enroute On-Time Performance (1900-0000)

Facilitates Corrective Actions

40.0%

12.0%

67.4%

19.6%

1.1%

35.0%

30.0%

Total Trips (%)

– Developed internal reports in partnership with operating departments – Troubleshoots consistently early or late problems – Detailed reporting on a bi-weekly basis

25.0% 20.7%

20.0%

15.0% 12.0% 12.0%

10.0%

8.7%

8.7% 6.5%

6.5% 5.4% 4.3%

5.0%

3.3% 2.2%

2.2%

2.2%

2.2%

1.1% 0.0%

1.1%

1.1%

0.0%

0.0% >5

5

4

3

2

1

0

Minutes Early

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

> 10

N/O

Minutes Late

On-Time

Deviation from Scheduled Minutes (Note: N/O = Not Observed)

REPORTED Q58

Local Trips

SPH

Date

Dir

StopID

647130 647160 647134 647200 647320 647252 647747 647714 647882 647914

10/2/08 10/3/08 10/3/08 10/6/08 10/9/08 10/10/08 10/13/08 10/13/08 10/15/08 10/16/08

EB EB WB EB EB EB WB WB EB EB

16465 16465 48829 16465 16465 11290 15630 48829 48805 11290

,

Location

StartTime

CORONA AV / JUNCTION BL CORONA AV / JUNCTION BL FRESH POND RD / METROPO CORONA AV / JUNCTION BL CORONA AV / JUNCTION BL FRESH POND RD / METROPO GRAND AV / QUEENS BL FRESH POND RD / METROPO 108 ST / HORACE HARDING B FRESH POND RD / METROPO

New York City Transit

1345 2100 1730 630 2100 1345 2100 1015 1015 2100

6

37

181

29

7

260

2.3%

14.2%

69.6%

11.2%

2.7%

EndTime

NIS

Early

On- Time

Late

Late >10

Obsv.

NIS

Early

On- Time

Late

Late >10

1645 0 2030 930 0 1645 0 1415 1415 0

0 1 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 2

4 0 2 1 8 5 9 3 3 2

15 11 23 29 9 18 15 32 16 13

4 5 7 3 2 3 0 0 5 0

0 2 1 3 0 1 0 0 0 0

23 19 33 38 19 28 24 35 24 17

0.0% 5.3% 0.0% 5.3% 0.0% 3.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 11.8%

17.4% 0.0% 6.1% 2.6% 42.1% 17.9% 37.5% 8.6% 12.5% 11.8%

65.2% 57.9% 69.7% 76.3% 47.4% 64.3% 62.5% 91.4% 66.7% 76.5%

17.4% 26.3% 21.2% 7.9% 10.5% 10.7% 0.0% 0.0% 20.8% 0.0%

0.0% 10.5% 3.0% 7.9% 0.0% 3.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

Wait Assessment

77.8% 76.5% 76.7% 72.4% 82.4% 77.8% 95.5% 97.0% 90.9% 86.7%

APTA 2010 New York City 10

Special Programs •

Scheduled Running Time Recalibration – Periodic Adjustment for Traffic Conditions



Dispatcher Programs – Respond to performance declines – Respond to community reliability concerns



Pilot Program Monitoring – Monitor new or revised operating plans



Dispatching Strategy Evaluation – Monitor pilot subway dispatching methods

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 11

Summary • • • •



Rider advocacy groups adopt NYCT’s performance measures Senior management set goals for operating areas Cooperation between Operations Planning and Field Management Extensive technology infrastructure to collect, process, and analyze large volumes of data Monitoring performance of pilot service plans, dispatcher programs, and dispatching strategy

BMT Nassau Loop, Chambers St. Terminal

,

New York City Transit

Photo: Fred Guenther

APTA 2010 New York City 12

Future Work •

Expanding Use of Automatically Collected Data – Automated Passenger Counter – Passenger Load Sensors – Automated Fare Collection – Automated Vehicle Locator

BMT Culver El, Bay Parkway

,

New York City Transit

Photo: Fred Guenther

APTA 2010 New York City 13

,

New York City Transit

APTA 2010 New York City 14