Hotels and Leisure
Leisure Choose the best
08449 02 03 04
We offer a broad range of expertise from valuations and professional agency services to consultancy and expert witness advice
The expertise you need and approach you’ll value About GVA Hotels and Leisure
Our regional strength
Our team includes specialist chartered surveyors, planners and international advisers in leisure business and property.
Operating from seven regional offices gives us a strong geographical reach, ensuring you are advised by local people who know the local leisure and tourism market.
The services you need whenever, wherever We offer a complete range of services providing a single source of expertise, so you can get the advice and support you need wherever you are in the property cycle.
We advise on strategic development and funding options to planning applications and appeals gva.co.uk/leisure
Our overriding aim is to add value to our clients’ businesses and assets by providing the best advice, backed by deep-seated knowledge of our markets Gavin Brent Head of Hotels and Leisure
Creating success stories GVA has one of the UK’s strongest leisure offers. We are continually building on and developing our strengths so that our clients get the best service. Our recent acquisitions mean that we are now best placed within the leisure market to advise on a diverse range of properties including: licensed property, restaurants, holiday property, golf clubs, marinas, sports centres, gyms, spas, race courses, tourist
attractions, theatres, museums and heritage properties. Our client base ranges from leisure operators, local authorities and major institutions, to private landowners and property investors. Your needs come first and we look at your requirements before using our research and professional experience to provide you with the best solutions. We offer a wide range of services, all of which can be customised to suit you so that when you choose GVA you can rest assured you choose the best.
In a difficult economic climate we recognise that our clients require clear and concise transactional advice based on the skill and experience of a successful sales adviser.
Lenders and investors rely on regular, accurate valuations and well informed surveyors with a good knowledge of current market fluctuations.
We advise on all aspects of acquiring, disposing of, or managing, your leisure property investment portfolios.
We have a thriving agency team who concentrate on acquisition, sale and leasing of leisure-related property in the UK as well as overseas.
Our Hotels and Leisure team has the experience and knowledge to value all types of leisure property, whether for balance sheet purposes, purchases and sales or for raising finance for further development.
We aim to always provide effective communication and client interaction and deliver realistic pricing advice so that you achieve the most from your asset.
We specialise in providing tailor-made research and business solutions. We offer property market appraisals, we follow trends, we monitor competitor analysis and perform economic impact measurements.
Our service covers the availability of funding packages for your leisure property needs as well as high quality sale and leaseback support.
Whilst planning permission has become harder to obtain, our specialist leisure planning knowledge and ability to work alongside local planning authorities continues to bring us and our clients’ considerable success even in sensitive locations.
We provide feasibility studies, viability testing and development option appraisals on a full range of leisure businesses and property proposals.
We work closely with major debt providers and have excellent contacts within the private equity sector, through setting up Humberts Leisure SRP Financial, authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
We can help at every stage in the process, from initial discussions with planning officers, managing the preparation and submission of the application, and negotiating with planning authorities and stakeholders.
Developers and investors need precise information to make an informed decision. Our breadth of skills means we can provide an integrated service offering advice on site acquisition, valuation, planning, funding and disposal, together with assistance on a selection of other professional intermediaries.
GVA can provide ongoing support to your project, providing advice on everything from building design to staff recruitment and pre-opening marketing. We can assist negotiations for development or lease agreements between owners, developers, and operators. We will prepare a business plan, select the consultants with the best credentials to deliver the project and develop detailed cash flow projections.
We undertake building surveys for a vendor or purchaser, to identify existing and foreseeable defects with a property’s structure, fabric or services, as well as calculating reinstatement values. We perform environmental audits to appraise current and historic site conditions including flood risk. We appraise development proposals and advise on dilapidations liability for landlords and tenants at lease break or expiry.
Landlord and tenant
We have a broad range of property management experience in the leisure sector including mixed use schemes, shopping centres and retail parks.
We can manage the entire rates payment process for you from receiving the demands to verifying, auditing and making payments.
However complex the scheme GVA will provide advice at the development stage, followed by ongoing management support, destination marketing services, utilities management and we will challenge your service charge rates.
Our proactive service marries the appeal and mitigation aspects of leisure business rates with payment management, creating a seamless approach.
Our team enables clients to maximise their rental income based on thorough market research, ensuring that they are consistently up-to-date with the latest in leisure property information, allowing them to make a fast, well informed decision. The team can take care of rent reviews and lease renewals for landlords or tenants, as well as rating and litigation issues, dilapidation claims and all other professional matters.
Golf courses and golf hotels GVA specialises in all areas of the golf market in the UK and increasingly throughout Europe. We offer advice to private member golf clubs, proprietary membership and pay and play businesses, municipal golf courses, golf hotels, golf resorts and country clubs.
Chelsfield Lake Golf Centre, Kent Agency
Orpington Golf Centre, Kent Agency
Horton Park, Surrey Planning and agency
• Freehold 27 hole golf complex located inside the M25
• 53 hole golf complex in East London, which includes the 18 hole Cray Golf Course and 18 hole Ruxley Park Golf Course
• A commercially located 27 hole parkland golf course situated inside the M25 offering long term residential development potential
• 9 hole, par 32 golf course
• 18 hole golf course and a 9 hole par 3 golf course
• Academy course
• 26 bay floodlit golf range
• 28 bay floodlit golf range and practice facilities
• 563 sqm clubhouse
• 345 sqm clubhouse plus secondary 510 sqm clubhouse
• 103 year unexpired leasehold interest, turnover £1.2 million
• Sold on behalf of Crown Golf
• Planning advice for housing development
• Guide Price £1.25 million
• Sold on behalf of the Joint Administrators of Horton Park Golf & Country Club Ltd
• 18 hole golf course and a 9 hole par 3 golf course • 36 bay floodlit golf range, short game area • 869 sqm clubhouse • Golf shop • Sold on behalf of Crown Golf • Guide Price £4 million
Urban leisure We are experts in all aspects of the general leisure property market in the UK including health and fitness clubs, spas, leisure centres, cinemas, sports complexes and stadia, bowling and bingo halls, amusement arcades, destination and mixed-use retail/leisure complexes.
37 Degrees, Tower Bridge Valuation
Kidspace, Epsom Planning
• The property forms part of a small group of health clubs including 37 Degrees, Olympia and the Weybridge Health Club, Surrey
• Kidspace is one of the country’s leading children’s play centre operators
• Annual valuations provided for accounting purposes
• Obtained planning permission for 465 sqm play barn extension and provided valuation advice for their acquisition of a site at Horton Park
The Britannia Stadium, Stoke City Football Club Valuation • The Britannia Stadium is the home of Stoke City FC located on the outskirts of Stoke on Trent in North Staffordshire • Valued for annual accounting purposes, adopting a depreciated replacement cost and investment basis to valuation
Holiday property and water-based leisure The holiday caravan park industry is recognised by financial institutions as a relatively safe investment, viewed as a cash generative business backed by a resilient property asset. We have extensive experience in caravan parks, holiday villages, cottage letting and club membership resorts. GVA are also national property advisers to the British Holiday and Home Parks Association. GVA also has specialists dedicated to all areas of water-based leisure including coastal and inland marinas, multi-use lakes and fisheries. We have a diverse mix of clients from major institutions such as ING Real Estate, MDL, British Waterways and Scottish Enterprises to existing and future marinas such as Clyde Marina and Whiteness in Scotland.
St Katherine Docks Marina, London Property management
Riverside Park, Northumberland Agency
Forest Holidays, Hampshire Planning
• Acquired by GVA on behalf of Max Property Group
• 78 acre site of 500 pitches with 345 owned holiday homes, 39 hire fleet units and 78 touring pitches
• Planning permission achieved for 60 timber holiday cabins to be sensitively designed within an ancient woodland and designated site of special scientific interest
• Mixed use development comprising a marina, offices, leisure, retail and residential units • GVA provides property management, accounts, facilities management and destination marketing services
• Licensed bar, restaurant and indoor pool area • Sold
• Tourism need and economic impact assessment provided in support of the application
Pubs and licensed leisure GVA offers a comprehensive range of specialist property services to this market in the UK. We have a wide variety of clients ranging from individual operators to major pub chains. We advise across all sectors of the licensed market including city bars, nightclubs, casinos, country pubs, community locals, restaurants and fast food outlets.
Punch Taverns, UK Valuation
Enterprise Inns, UK Valuation
Escapade Nightclub, Barnsley Valuation
• Re-valuation of this UK-wide pub estate for year end accounts purposes
• Portfolio of 6,000 pubs across England and Wales
• Freehold, 1,800+ capacity nightclub
• Valuation advice for year end accounts purposes
• Valued on behalf of the owner Abbey Road Limited for loan security purposes
• The portfolio consists of 5,000 pubs all let to tenants
Arts and culture We have extensive experience with publicly funded, charitable and commercial artistic organisations. We work on a broad range of projects from major national galleries to small independent arts centres.
© Gautier Deblonde
The Arts Council England (ACE) Consultancy
Everyman Theatre, Liverpool Project management
Natural History Museum, London Project management
• We were selected by ACE to join their consultancy framework agreement for the Sustain programme – a strategic and practical response to the pressures that key arts clients experienced as a result of the recession. ACE allocated at least £40 million in grants for Sustain
• £13 million construction with an area of 4,750 sqm to be completed late 2013
• Over a four year period Mike Cook provided project management services on three major projects, including the 2004/05 refurbishment of the temporary Diamonds exhibition gallery
• We were selected because of our experience of both the subsidised cultural and commercial hospitality sectors and our successful track record
• Appointed as the lead consultant for the redevelopment of the theatre including a new 400 seat youth and community space, ‘The hub’ writers space, rehearsal space and workshops • We provided strategic advice and project management services, contract administration, feasibility study, procurement advice, as well as acquisition of freehold site and assembly support Architect: Haworth Tompkins Theatre Consultant: Charcoalblue Acoustician: Paul Gillieron Acoustic Design
• Managed the refurbishment of all three café/restaurants • Developed the Attenborough studio, a landmark stateof-the-art science and collections facility within the Darwin Centre Phase 2. The refurbishment included a fully automated 75 seat, digital live presentation theatre with broadcast and video-conference facilities Conservation Architect: Robert Warren Chartered Architects Exhibition Designer: Real Studios
Visitor attractions At GVA we work at the strategic level, preparing tourism strategies for local authorities and key tourism destinations and at the operational level, to help visitor attractions improve their performance.
© Christopher Heaney
Drayton Manor Theme Park, Staffordshire – Valuation
Titanic, Belfast Consultancy
Brighton Pier, Sussex Agency
• A comprehensive visitor attraction experience, strategically located in the heart of the Midlands
• State of the art visitor attraction opened in April 2012 in time for the RMS Titanic’s centenary
• Instructed to sell on behalf of the Noble organisation
• Recently opened 150 bedroom, 4* Drayton Manor Hotel
• The museum, part of a £5 billion redevelopment of Belfast’s waterfront, is set to become one of the leading visitor attractions in Northern Ireland
• Attracts over 1.1 million visitors per annum • Strategic valuation exercise, undertaken on behalf of the Bryan family and RBS
• One of Britain’s busiest attractions, Brighton pier has 18 attraction rides and two modern amusement arcades, together with numerous retail units
• Advisory services provided in preparation for opening • Ongoing role to assist the project for its first full year
GVA’s Hotels and Leisure team has an outstanding knowledge of the leisure sector and provides a level of professional service that is second to none Colin Bryan, Group Managing Director, Drayton Manor Theme Park, Catering and Hotels Ltd
Nigel Mills Associate Ext: 2233 [email protected]
Key contacts Gavin Brent General leisure 020 7911 2228 [email protected]
Peter Constantine Pubs and licensed leisure 0292 024 8932 [email protected]
Richard Baldwin Associate Richard Baldwin 0113attractions 280 8039 Visitor Ext: 4539 0113 280 8039 [email protected] [email protected]
Martin Taylor Planning 020 7911 2220 [email protected]
Ben Allen Golf property 020 7911 2360 [email protected]
Mike Cook Arts and culture 020 7911 2265 Charles Kaminaris [email protected]
John Mitchell Holiday property and water based leisure 020 7911 2489 [email protected]
Richard Gaunt Business consultancy 020 7911 2034 [email protected]
Associate Ext: 8933 [email protected]
Advisory, Agency, Planni Funding and Financial S * Healthclubs, nightclubs, sports complexes, gaming, *Hotels brochurerestaurants, also available day visitor attractions, piers, ten pin bowling centres, equestrian centres, garden centres
London West End London City Belfast Birmingham Bristol Cardiff Dublin Edinburgh Glasgow Leeds Liverpool Manchester Newcastle
Published by GVA 10 Stratton Street, London W1J 8JR ©2013 Copyright GVA GVA is the trading name of GVA Grimley Limited and is a principal shareholder of GVA Worldwide, an independent partnership o f property advisers operating globally gvaworldwide.com
08449 02 03 04