How to Add Your Company Logo & Address to YouWinLaw Billing Templates The easiest way to customize Word templates in YouWinlaw, including billing templates, is to add the logo and address in the header and/or footer of the template. The following steps will show you how to do that. TIP: Before modifying ANY template, be sure to make a backup of the original. In the case of billing templates, it is easy to delete the normally hidden Word bookmarks and the template will not work anymore! You can make a backup by creating a new folder within the YouWinLaw Templates folder entitled “Backups” or some other easy-to-remember name. After doing this, go back to the main Templates folder and select the desired template. Do NOT double-click on the template name. Instead, right-click and select Copy in the drop-down menu. Then go to the “Backups” folder, right-click, and select Paste.
TIP: When opening a template in Word to modify it, do NOT double-click on the template name. Instead, right-click and select Open in the drop-down menu.
Steps General: 1. In the YouWinLaw Templates folder you will find two billing templates: wyeInvoice00.dot (Normal), showing summary data, and wyeInvoice01.dot (Detailed), showing detailed data. You may modify either one depending on your needs. For our example, we’re going to modify wyeInvoice01.dot.
2. After making a backup copy, open the template using the method described in the TIPS above. The template opens up in Word as shown in the screenshot to the right.
TIP: Do NOT change anything in this field! Otherwise the template will not work properly.
Editing the Header: 1. To add your company logo, address, and any other information to the header, first double-click in the header area. Now you can edit the field. (We went ahead and deleted the existing logo.)
2. First we’re going to add a company logo. In the Header & Footer Tools Tab, click the Design Tab and then click the Insert Picture button.
3. A window will appear asking you to select the picture you want to insert. After finding and selecting your company logo, click Insert.
4. As you can see, the logo has been inserted into the header. Clicking on the logo will allow you to edit it as a picture. The Picture Tools – Format tab has many options.
TIP: One useful tool for positioning the logo is Format Picture. Right-click on the picture and select Format Picture in the dropdown menu. In the window that opens up, click the Layout tab and then the Advanced button in the right-hand corner. In this new window, you can experiment to find the best position of the logo relative to the text (address).
5. In the header area, edit the address as you would any other text. You can also delete it and add your company’s address to the footer instead (see below). IMPORTANT: See Finishing Up below for more steps.
Editing the Footer: 1. To add your company logo, address, and any other information to the footer, scroll down to the bottom of the page. When you have the header open, the footer is also open for editing. 2. There is already some text in the footer. You can delete this or edit it to suit your company. You can also add your company’s address.
3. You can add your company logo to the footer as well. Use the same method to insert the picture into the footer as we discussed for the header. TIP: Use the Format Picture option to edit the logo as described above. IMPORTANT: See Finishing Up below for more steps.
Finishing Up: 1. After you’re done modifying the template, click the big red button in the Header & Footer Tools tab.
2. You must save the modified template back to the YouWinLaw Templates folder under the same template name.
3. Open YouWinLaw. In Billing, click the “Create Draft” button. In the window that appears, be sure to select “detailed” under Template if you modified the wyeInvoice01.dot template.
4. After clicking OK, your changes should appear in the bill.