CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT This Agreement dated the _____ day of _____________________, 20___ BETWEEN: HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF ALBERTA AS REPRESENTED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF _____________________________________________ (the "Department") - and _____________________________________________ of the CITY OF _______________________________ of the PROVINCE OF _________________________ (the "Employee")
The Department and the Employee agree as follows: Position
The Employee is appointed to the position of ________________. The Employee shall perform the duties of this position and any other duties as assigned by the Department.
The Employee’s employment shall start on _________________, and terminate on _________________, unless this Agreement is terminated as set out in Clause 10.
The Employee shall earn a bi-weekly salary of $__________, paid in bi-weekly instalments, less source deductions required by law or authorized by the Employee.
No Other Rights Or Benefits
The Employee is entitled to only the rights or benefits provided in this Agreement.
The Employee may be eligible to participate in the following components of 1st choice benefits program during the term of this Agreement. Eligibility of the employee will be determined in accordance with the policies of insurance and other governing plan documents:
(a) (b) (c) (d) (e)
Group Life Insurance Plan; Dental Plan; Prescription Drug Plan; Extended Medical Plan; and Health Spending Account
The eligibility to claim benefits in accordance with the plan policies and governing documents shall be determined by the respective service provider or insurer. Leaves
The Employee shall be entitled to the following leaves:
(a) Paid annual vacation leave as prescribed by the Public Service Employment Regulation ("Regulation"). At termination, the Employee's vacation leave entitlement shall be calculated at the rate prescribed in the Regulation and the Employee shall refund the Department for any vacation leave taken in excess of the entitlement. Any accrued vacation entitlement shall be paid to the Employee. The scheduling of vacation leave is subject to the Department's approval.
(b) Sick leave of ____ days. If this Agreement terminates before its expiry date, the Employee's sick leave entitlement shall be calculated at the rate of one and one-half (1.5) days per month of completed service. At termination, the Employee shall refund the Department for any sick leave taken in excess of the entitlement.
(c) Paid holidays normally granted to employees of the Government of Alberta.
(d) Special leave provisions normally granted to Management and Opted Out/Excluded Employees of the Government of Alberta as prescribed by the Public Service Employment Regulation.
(e) Parental leave as prescribed by the Public Service Employment Regulation.
The Employee may apply on limited and departmental competitions as prescribed by recruitment, selection and appointment policy.
Travel and Subsistence Expenses
The Employee is eligible for reimbursement for travel and subsistence expenses acquired through travel or relocation authorized by the Department. The rate and manner of reimbursement shall be as prescribed by the Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expense Treasury Board Directive and/or the Public Service Relocation and Employment Expenses Regulation.
No Pension Plan
(a) The Employee will not participate in the Public Service Pension Plan or the Management Employees Pension Plan. Service under this Agreement will not be eligible as pensionable service under any Government of Alberta Pension Plan later participated in by the Employee. The Employee agrees not to have it credited.
OR IF THIS IS A RE-EMPLOYED PENSIONER CONTRACT, REPLACE (a) WITH THE FOLLOWING: (a) The Employee is currently receiving a pension under the PSPP/MEPP and is not eligible to participate in the Public Service Pension Plan or the Management Employees Pension Plan. Service under this Agreement will not be eligible as pensionable service under any Government of Alberta Pension Plan later participated in by the Employee. The Employee agrees not to have it credit. Termination
10. (a) The Department may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice for just cause. (b) Either party may terminate this Agreement without reason or cause by giving _____ week(s) / month(s) written notice to the other party. (c) Instead of written notice, the Department may pay an amount equal to the Employee's salary for the period of notice. The parties agree written notice or pay in lieu is reasonable. The Employee agrees that if he/she receives salary in lieu of notice under this clause, he/she will sign a re-employment restriction agreement.
Notice of Termination
11. Written notice of termination may be given personally or by prepaid registered letter. If mailed, notice shall be considered to be given forty-eight (48) hours after mailing. The notice shall be addressed to the other party at the following address (or as amended from time to time): TO THE DEPARTMENT AT: ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ TO THE EMPLOYEE AT: ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________
12. During the term, the Employee shall follow all rules and regulations of conduct for the Government of Alberta and the Department. The Employee agrees to comply with the Code of Conduct and Ethics Regulation for the Public Service of Alberta.
13. The Employee agrees to take and comply with the Official Oath as prescribed in Section 20 of the Public Service Act.
No Other Service
14. The Employee may not accept other employment during the term of this Agreement if it is in direct or potential conflict with the Employee's performance. Any supplementary employment requires the prior written approval of the Department.
15. The Employee agrees to keep confidential all materials and information known or used during the performance of this Agreement. Any release of information shall be to the Department only.
Materials Property of Employer
16. Upon expiry or termination of this Agreement, all materials and information acquired or produced by the Employee in the performance of this Agreement become the property of the Department.
17. Any trade knowledge acquired by the Employee in the performance of this Agreement is confidential. Any release must be authorized by the Department and any benefits resulting from such trade knowledge shall belong to the Government of Alberta.
This Agreement Represents the Total Agreement
18. This is the complete Agreement between the parties and replaces any earlier agreements. There are no other conditions or guarantees.
19. This Agreement may be amended in writing by mutual agreement.
As witnessed below, this Agreement is executed as of the date above.